Article ID:523432(modified 23 Jun 2016)
ILCE-6000, ILCE-6000L, ILCE-6000Y, ILCE-7, ILCE-7K, NEX-5R, NEX-5RK, NEX-5RL, NEX-5RY, NEX-5T, NEX-5TL, NEX-5TY, NEX-6, NEX-6K, NEX-6L, SEL18200, SEL1855, SEL24F18Z, SEL30M35, SEL50F18, SEL55210
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a system software update for the following Interchangeable E-mount lenses: SEL1855, SEL18200, SEL24F18Z, SEL30M35, SEL55210, and SEL50F18.
Applicable System Software version of the units
The applicable products are with the system software Ver.01.
Improvements after System Software upgrade
- Provides the Fast Hybrid AF function.
Note: Without updating the system software of the lens, the camera utilizes contrast-detection AF.
- This system software update can be performed only when the lens is attached to the camera having the Fast Hybrid AF function. You cannot perform the system software update using other camera.
- Sony provides the update program for free on our website, but Sony may ask for a technical fee for the update service at the service counter if requested (depends on the country).
How to check the Lens System Software version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The Lens System Software version is displayed. If your system software version is Ver.02 or later, the upgrade is not required.
Preparing for system software update
System requirements for a computer
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Vista SP2 (Starter edition is not supported).
Other system requirements
- CPU: Intel processor (Core Solo and Core Duo processors are no longer supported).
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
* Please close all other application software before upgrading the system software.
- USB cable supplied with the camera
Note: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
- Power source for the camera
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50 or AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
Note: The upgrade can be performed only when the remaining battery level is (three marks) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or the AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately).
- When performing the Lens System Software upgrade, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50 or the AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately).
- Do not remove the battery or AC adaptor during the upgrade; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown.
- Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand.
- Please make sure to attach the lens to the camera before performing the system software update.
*Before you attach the lens to the camera, please make sure to turn off the camera.
- Download the update file
Click the file to begin download. Please save the downloaded file onto the Desktop of your computer (recommended).
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users;
Under the initial settings of Internet Explorer, the update file will be saved in the Downloads folder. Click the Desktop tile from the Start screen and find the downloaded file in the Downloads folder by using Explorer.
- Start Lens System Software Updater
- Close all currently running programs on your computer.
- Double-click the downloaded file to start up Lens System Software updater.
- Check the USB connection mode
- Turn ON the camera.
*If the camera has already been turned ON, turn it OFF and then turn it ON again.
- Select Menu → Setup → USB Connection on the camera, and confirm Mass Storage is selected. (If you are using the QX series, this step is not necessary) If the mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Connect the camera to the computer
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
Note: Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand.
If an error message appears on the computer screen, please try the following methods.
- Disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
- If the computer has multiple USB terminals, try with the other terminals.
- Confirm is displayed on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen.
Note: If the icon is not displayed on the task tray, please proceed to the next step
- After confirming the above, click Next on Lens System Software updater.
The screen below appears on system software Updater.
Camera’s LCD screen
Note: From this step onwards, never turn off the camera until the system software upgrade is completed.
- When the message “The update is not available for your model.” appears on the screen, check if the Lens System Software Updater is the correct file for the lens which is attached to the camera.
* When the message above appears although the correct system software Updater is running, close the system software Updater, disconnect the USB cable, turn off the camera, and then go back to the Start Lens System Software Updater
- When the message “Could not find the camera with the lens for this update mounted.” appears on the screen, check if the camera is the model having the function of Fast Hybrid AF and if the camera is connected to the computer with USB cable.
- Check if Update is required
- After confirming the screens on the above steps, click Next. The current version and the version after the upgrade appear on the lower left part of the screen.
Upgrade is required
If the current version is Ver. 02, the upgrade is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click Finish. Turn OFF the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, reinsert the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn ON the camera again.
Upgrade is not required
- Start the update
- Start transfering the Lens System Software. The progress bar appears while transferring data (approx. 5 seconds)
Note: Never turn OFF the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while updating.
- When transferring data is completed, the following screen appears. Click Finish.
- The update process starts and the progress bar is displayed on the camera screen
(approximately 30 seconds).
- Complete the update
- The update process is finished when the "Lens update complete." message is displayed on the camera screen.
Note: If you are using the QX series, the update process is finished when the screen of QX series disappears.
- Click on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection.
Note: If the icon is not displayed on the task tray, please proceed to the next step.
- Disonnect the USB cable.
Note: After the update is finished, turn OFF the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, reinsert the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn ON the camera again
- Check the Lens System Software version
Follow the instruction below to confirm the Lens System software version is Ver. 02
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The Lens System Software version is displayed.
Thank you. The update is finished.