IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Certain legacy camcorders may support webcam operation (live streaming) through the composite, component, or S-Video connections. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Before you start
You will need the following items to setup live streaming.
- A camcorder that has an Auto Shut Off (A.Shut Off) option in the menu and composite, component, or S-Video audio/video output.
Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- A: S-Video
- B: Composite Video
- Set the Auto Shut Off feature to either Off or Never to prevent it from automatically turning off while live streaming.
- If your camcorder does not have the Auto Shut Off option or has a demonstration mode, then it may not function for live streaming.
- A computer with composite/component/S-Video input jacks or a composite/component/S-Video to USB video capture device (not a Sony product)
- The camcorder model and your video capture device will determine the type of cable needed for connectivity
- USB cable if using a video capture device
- A computer with streaming software installed (not a Sony product)
Steps to setup live streaming
- Plug the AC power adapter for the camcorder into a working electrical outlet and then connect it to the camcorder.
- Connect a composite, component, or S-Video cable to the VIDEO or S-VIDEO jack on the camcorder.
- Sony camcorders usually come packaged with composite Audio/Video cables; S-Video cables are sold separately.
- To purchase either of these cables, check with your local electronics dealer or visit Sony Parts and Accessories Sales.
- Connect the other end of the composite, component, or S-Video cable to the VIDEO IN or S-VIDEO IN jack on the computer or the video capture device.
- If using a video capture device, connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Remove the cassette tape from the camcorder.
- Turn on the camera by moving the POWER switch to the CAMERA position.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the video capture device and therefore your camcorder as a webcam.
- You should then see the live stream from the camera on your computer.