Follow these steps to perform a System Recovery from outside of Windows.
- Press and hold the Power button until the computer is turned off completely.
- This procedure must be performed from a complete power off state.
- When the Shutdown option is chosen in the Windows 8 operating system, the computer does not completely power off but essentially logs off all users and then enters a hibernate state. This is known as a Hybrid Shutdown. This new shutdown/startup behavior allows connected hardware to remain initialized and is faster and easier than a full system re-initialization.
- On the keyboard, press the Assist button.
NOTE: The location of the Assist button will depend on your specific computer model. To see the location of the Assist button on your computer, refer to the supplied instruction manuals. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- The computer will start to the VAIOCare | Rescue Mode screen.
- Recover or maintain your System [F10] - This options allows you to perform a system recovery and return the computer back to factory condition.
- Start from media (USB device/optical disc) [F11] - This options allows you to start the computer from a CD/DVD disc or USB device.
- Start from network [F12] - This options allows you to start the computer from a networked drive.
- Start BIOS [F2] - This options allow you to enter and make modifications to the BIOS.
- Shut down [F4] - This option will shut down the Computer.
- Start Windows [Esc] - This option will allow you to start the computer in Windows normally.
- Select language [F1] - This option will allow you to select a different language.
- Press the F10 key to select the Recover or maintain your System [F10] option.
- In the Choose your keyboard layout screen, click to select the preferred keyboard layout.
- In the Choose an option, click to select the Troubleshooter option.
- In the Troubleshooter screen, click to select the Recovery and maintenance option.
- In the Recovery Tool screen, click to select Windows 8.
- In the VAIO Care (Rescue Mode) screen, click the Start recovery wizard option.
- In the Do you need to rescue your data? window, click Yes, I'd like to rescue my data.
NOTE: If you do not have any data on your computer that you need to back up, click the Skip Rescue button and proceed to step 16.
- Connect an external storage device to the computer, such as a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
- In the Select Rescue type window, click Easy rescue.
- If you would like to manually select files to back up, click Custom Rescue and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- The software will automatically detect your data.
- Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data and then click the Next button.
NOTE: This screen displays the amount of disc space required and the amount of free space on the external drive.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
NOTE: A progress window will show the status of the backup.
- In the Rescue has completed successfully window, click the Next button.
- In the Are you sure you want to start recovery window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
NOTE: A status window is displayed indicating the progress of the different applications. No action is required. This process may take up to 2 hours and the computer may restart several times.
- In the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
- Once the computer restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.